Blogging is a simple focus, but it can be a lot of work. To be a better blogger requires the desire to add value to the world of internet content. While ongoing not difficult to post to your blog, getting traffic that produces revenue on a regular basis from your blog is a tougher proposition. Maybe you’ve been blogging for a while and have yet to see the traffic numbers you’d like. Here are five steps to help you enhance your blogging skills.
Become a better blogger in five steps!
1. Be relevant and current: No one wants yesterday’s information. A blogger has to stay current on what is going on in the world today. Of course, depending on your focus that could mean something different to everyone blogger. Major issues stay in the headlines for months, but your audience will want fresh updates on those topics. Knowing what is going on around you and what will interest others will make your blog content worth reading.
2. Renew your content often: There is nothing worse than losing traffic you’ve worked hard to attract because you fail to refresh your posts. You might not have to post every day, but you can expect that your readership will drop off if your posts are random or just once a month. Readers like fresh content and they will go where they can get it. If you need to, hire a writing company to produce compelling content on a variety of topics and post the information on a consistent basis. This works well if you have more than one blog and not enough hours in the day to manage each of them personally.
3. Increase your sphere of Influence: Get your content out there. Be sure to register with search engines and join social bookmarking sites like Digg and Technorati to expose your site to as many people as possible. Share your URL with friends and colleagues on your Twitter and Facebook profile pages.
4. Be mindful of your readers: Engage with your readers that leave comments. Some will start a dialogue with you or other readers. Always take the time to comment and show appreciation for their comments. If you don’t have the answer to a question, politely say “I don’t know,” and be prepared to research the answer for them. Their comments can increase traffic and the direction your blog take in the future.
5. Keep your ads to a minimum: Ads are a way for bloggers to make money with their sites. That’s an excellent way to produce a passive income stream, and a few ads are great and will attract attention. If you post too many adds, visitors might be turned off and stop visiting your site. You want your content to be the primary attraction. If the ads coordinate with your blog niche, that’s good but add only a few near the top of the page if you want them to be regularly clicked by visitors.
Blogging is an art. Creating engaging content that causes repeat visitors is an ongoing challenge. Use these five tips to become a better blogger while enhancing your value to the blogosphere and take a moment to share other tips that you have used to help you with keeping your audience engaged.